Ruthin was an important market town as far back as the early 14th century and as so warranted it own postmasters. It was the only borough in North Wales with a guild of Fullers and Weavers. Its Free Grammar School was founded in 1595. A Mr Wynne is recorded as Postmaster froma s early as 1677 to 1682. In 1702 a Richard Winn owed the sum of £124 11s 6d while in 1702 a Thomas Owen received one quarter of receipts on all letters.
He was probably followed by a Thomas Foulkes. He was so highly thought of that a Memorial Tablet was erected in his memory. It is to be found on the north wall of the north nave of our Collegiate and Parochial Church of St. Peter. This was carved by Robert Wynne, a classical stonecutter who was born in the town and trained in London. His workshop is known to have been in Well Street and he made major memorials for the Watkin Williams Wynn family.
The author suggests that this memorial is well worth a visit and having in the past written about it in philatelic magazines believes it is the oldest if not The oldest memorial to an 'ordinary’ member of the postal service in this country.